Sunday, 24 February 2013

Paris: Montmartre


view from Sacre Coeur

Ever thought of visiting Paris? Go! 

Last week my mother and I hopped onto the Eurostar for a 5 day trip to the romantic city of Paris, France. It was part of a family tradition that my mother had promised my brothers and I, that when we turned 18 she would take us anywhere we liked (within reason). My brother chose New York, but I chose Paris. 

What made the trip even more perfect was that I had recently got in touch with my Uncle Davy, an artist working in the famous Place du Tetre as well as working on his own projects. When I told him we were thinking of visiting Paris he kindly offered to let us stay in his studio in the heart of Montmartre.

So here are my top tips for a visit in Paris. This post covers Montmartre but there are more to come! 

1. If you are planning on visiting a lot of the museums and sights then book a 'Paris Pass' it will get you into practically everywhere for free as well as allow you to jump the queues in some places. Not just for museums this pass is for all your metro travel, hop on hop off bus, boat trip on the seine and many many more. 



some Parisienne apartments 

2. Where to stay? 

If you have the chance, I would recommend staying in Montmartre home to the famous Sacre Coeur, Le Place du Tetre, where you can get your portraits drawn. Not to mention that many artists flock here to try and capture some of the inspiration of the greats, with Picasso's studio located in the area. The streets remain with the original cobbles and the architecture is simply stunning. It can get a little busy so if you are staying here, get up early and soak up the beauty of Montmartre before the hoards arrive. Montmartre also hosts one of the surviving original art nouveau metro stations. 


metro station Abbesses 


stylish sign in Montmartre


restaurant in Le place du tetre 


3. What to eat?

So, if you are visiting Paris on a small budget then eating out will become a luxury. It is very pricey especially near the tourists sites. My top tip is to go to local supermarkets and/or bakeries. We enjoyed lovely tarts, baguettes and quiches from our local boulangerie. These beauties got me instagraming like mad:



No comments:

Post a Comment